New Years Resolutions In May...

>> Thursday, May 20, 2010

Its never too late for resolutions right? I'm trying to avoid some things that aren't the best for me, like sugar, dairy, white flour ect. I have this love/hate relationship with sugar. It makes everything taste so good, but I know too much is bad for my health. So I decided I would try to eliminate some of the white evils from my diet for awhile in an effort to be healthier.


Tonight I was sitting out on the back porch eating my dinner and saw that there were apples on my tree. They started talking to me and telling me they wanted to be made into a pie or an apple crisp. I told them no, that's not your destiny, I cant eat sugar! Still they just wouldn't give up, going on and on about how they wanted to swim in ooey gooey fountains of brown sugar and butter and lay beneath a crispy sugary topping. NO! I refuse to be sabotaged by a little apple.

So we both won, I decided to whip up a sugar free apple crisp containing no white flour or artificial sweeteners. How can this be done you ask? Dun dun dada...maple syrup and whole wheat flour. I was going to go for a straight apple crisp but then realized I only had a few small apples.

I remembered I had some blackberries in the fridge that I picked up on sale at Sprouts! I have never mixed the two together but I thought it might work and so began the experiment.

The apples and blackberries became a happy couple. I combined them with pure maple syrup and a little flour. I decided to bake them in these cute apple green mini loaf pans I picked them up on clearance last fall at Michaels. The color of the apples inspired me to pull them out of the cupboard.

I mixed some Quaker quick oats with whole wheat flour, maple syrup and olive oil!!! Yes I even omitted the butter. These are crazy days, let me tell you! Most shocking of all, it was really good. I don't know if its just because I'm sugar deprived but I don't think so. The kids devoured, so I'd say it was a success.

This picture doesn't do it justice, the lighting is really weird in my kitchen and it was too dark to take a picture outside. You get the idea. Moral of the story, you can bake without white sugar and butter, who new?

0 comments: