Comfort Food Is so...Comforting

>> Thursday, May 27, 2010

I haven't blogged in a few days. I came down with some crazy flu bug outta nowhere! I am feeling better and have my appetite back. I really hate feeling sick.

Side note: I'm having some weird problems with spacing on my blog. I am working on solving the problem but until I do, hang in there with me.

I was looking in my refrigerator tonight for inspiration and saw a bottle of New Castle beer. It has been sitting there lonely for sometime now because we don't really drink. Once in a great while I will have a drink for a special occasion but that's about it.

I had already started preparing a whole Chicken with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh garlic, and red pepper. I looked at the beer and thought why not? I poured 1/2 the beer over the chicken. Then I had this idea to use the rest of the beer to make a BBQ sauce. Mmmhmm good!


Normally when I make BBQ sauce I just add this and that until it tastes good. Tonight I thought I would measure what I put into the sauce. So I actually have a recipe to share. It was good!



Honey Brown BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 3/4 cup Honey Brown Beer
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredient and simmer 20 minutes on stove top stirring occasionally. Let it cool and set up for about 5 minutes before serving.

I had a few veggies from the farmers market I need to use up so for side dishes I made Sauteed Green Beans with Fennel and Bruleed Mashed Sweet Potatoes. The chicken was so moist it was falling off the bone. Juicy and full of flavor.
I think this is my favorite sweet potato recipe but that's hard because I really love sweet potatoes a lot.

Bruleed Mashed Sweet Potatoes~ The Best Of Cooking Light

6 cups of hot mashed sweet potatoes

3/4 cup whole milk

3 tablespoons of butter softened

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

cooking spray

1/2 cup packed brown sugar



Directions:

1.preheat broiler

2. Combine first 6 ingredients into a bowl Spoon the potato mixture into a 11x7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar evenly over the top. Broil mixture 2 minutes or until sugar melts. Let stand until sugar hardens about 2 minutes. ( I used less sugar)

That's all for now. I will leave you with a few pictures of some cupcakes I made for my daughter and her friends the other day. Edible glitter and all. :)


0 comments: