Margherita Pizza and Strawberry Mint Mojitos.

>> Monday, May 10, 2010


I love fresh herbs. The smell, the taste, oh my goodness I love pretty much all fresh herbs! This is always a weakness for me at the farmers market. I always buy more than I will use because they call my name and practically jump into my basket.
I had some fresh basil and mint on hand and wanted to use it before it lost its freshness. So tonight I whipped up a margherita pizza and a pitcher of virgin strawberry mint mojitios. My kids love mojitos. I usually just make the traditional mint and lime, but tonight I remembered Cadence's friend Mikah telling me she made them with strawberry's in culinary. So I gave it a try.
Result=delicious!

Start with 2 limes quartered, 6-7 strawberries, or more if they are small like mine, and a handful of mint leaves. Place them all in a pitcher and muddle them together. Next make simple syrup by mixing 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar in saucepan. Heat until the sugar has dissolved stiring constantly. Set aside. ( I put mine in the freezer for about 5 minutes) Pour simple syrup and 3 cups of San Pellegrino into the pitcher.

Let me take this moment to pause and say I LOVE Pellegrino all by its self but it is good mixed with fruit or juice as well. My kids love it too. It's the hubby that thinks it is repulsive. To each his own.


Walla....yumminess!

Now for the Pizza. I had two ripe tomatoes on my plant and I was so excited to use them that I decided to couple the basil and tomatoes and make a fresh margherita pizza, one of my favs.


Aren't the colors so pretty? I cheated a little, I used fresh and easy pizza dough. It is actually pretty good. I did top it though with my homemade pizza sauce. Once I finished pretending like I knew how to toss pizza dough, I stretched it out on to the pizza pan, topped it with my sauce, some shredded mozzarella, as well as fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. Oh yes, a little slice of heaven.




As you can see I left a little area plain for Jakers, he isn't into tomatoes and basil on his pizza. :)
One good thing about the weather heating up is all the delicious summer produce coming our way! I think I'm going to go slice up some watermelon before bed. Nah, I will wait for morning, I think I'm just thirsty.

0 comments: