>> Friday, March 11, 2011
I'm coming to the end of day 7 on this anti-inflammation diet and I feel amazing! I'm beginning to think so much of becoming healthier is just exchanging bad habits for good habits. I know, I know, you think I'm a genius. But really, we really are creatures of habit, aren't we? If we could just exchange our bad habits for good ones, little by little, where would we be in a year?
Obviously I am not happy about the fact that my body is out of balance , however, I am really excited that it has motivated me into healthier habits which will have a positive effect on my body.
So here are some of the trades I've been making.
- I traded my cup of coffee with cream, for a cup of black or green tea with a small amount of raw honey. I still have a coffee here and there, but I'm actually finding it less desirable then I used to.
- I traded toast with nutella or cereal ( actually whatever sweet thing I could get my hands on) for oatmeal with a small amount of earth balance and a little maple syrup or a bowl of fresh fruit
- I traded snacks like chips and crackers for Lara raw food bars or celery and natural peanut butter
- I traded pizza slices and deli sandwiches for veggie salads with chicken or fish
- I traded heavy dinners full of wheat, dairy and fat for lighter meals with grilled chicken or fish, veggies and brown rice or legumes.
- I traded ice cream and baked goods for homemade coconut ice cream sweetened with agave or a baked apple with Cinnamon and maple syrup. So good!
- I've traded my late night bowl of cereal for herbal tea and maybe a few frozen blueberries.
Simple right? Not rocket science, not a crazy fad diet. Just natural whole foods.
I am looking into some raw food recipes as well. It is amazing what you can do with raw food! You should check out this blog http://therawchef.com/therawchefblog/ look at some of the recipes they will blow your mind. I am planning on trying some of these recipes I will let you know how they turn out.
One last thing, eating out. I have gone out 3 times since I have been on eating this way. It would be difficult to make a good choice at most restaurants but by doing a little homework on the front end I avoided "having" to eat something not approved. It just takes a little planning ahead.
Ken and I went out to Zinburger tonight at the Biltmore. I've grabbed a salad there before to go and loved the freshness of the ingredients. So tonight for date night I asked Ken to pick between Zinburger and True Food and Zinburger won! He is usually down for any place that serves a good burger.
I went with the same salad I had last time I was there. Ahi Tuna salad. It is served on a bed of mixed greens laced with cashews and has an Asian style dressing. Understated yet delicious.
Ken ordered a burger with bacon and thousand island. He also went for a Snickers milkshake for dessert. I cant believe I was able to bypass the shake menu, they have some seriously good sounding shakes. I would defiantly recommend Zinburger, I want to go back when I am at a phase in my health goals where I can cheat a bit and try their fried zucchini, it looks really good!
Here is to a week of success and feeling better! My chamomile is kicking in, time for bed!